Every new year is an opportunity to be a better, more beautiful version of yourself. There are plenty of simple things you can do to look and feel better in 2014. Check out our list of 10 Brilliant Beauty Resolutions for 2014.
1. Wash Your Face Before Bed – It doesn’t matter how tired you may be, don’t put off washing your face until the morning. Leaving your makeup on while you sleep will clog your pores and cause breakouts. Wash your face every night before bed to remove your makeup, along with the dirt and dust that accumulates on your skin throughout the day.
2. Use SPF – You’re probably already using a daily moisturizer on your face, so kick it up a notch and start using a moisturizer with SPF. Even in the winter months, the sun’s UV rays are damaging. Use a moisturizer that will protect your face from harmful UVA and UVB rays that wrinkle your skin.
3. Stay Away From Tanning Beds – People who use tanning beds are 75 percent more likely to develop melanoma, the deadliest kind of skin cancer. Tanning can also cause dark freckles and sun spots to form your skin, which can age you. Ditch the tanning bed in 2014! There are much safer ways to achieve that sun-kissed glow, like applying bronzers and blush.
4. Drink More Water – Another great way to get glowing skin is by drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water every day. Drinking water helps eliminate toxins from your body and keeps your skin looking fresh and hydrated. Drink up!
5. Get More Sleep – If you’re not getting enough sleep, your complexion will turn dull and pale and dark circles will appear under your eyes. That’s because when you sleep, your brain releases hormones that heal cells and tissues throughout the body. Make it a point to get at least 8 hours of beauty rest every night of 2014.
6. Clean Out Your Makeup Bag – Just like food, your makeup also expires. Old makeup products are breeding grounds for bacteria. Using expired products on your skin can lead to breakouts, rashes, and infections. A great way to tell if your makeup is past its prime is the “see and sniff” test. If it looks off or starts to smell, it’s expired and should be replaced.
7. Clean Your Makeup Brushes – It’s not just your makeup bag that needs a good cleaning, your brushes do, too! You should wash your brushes once a week to remove old makeup, dirt, oils, and dead skin cells. Just use hot water, a little mild soap, and then dry them off with a clean paper towel.
8. Don’t Bite Your Nails – Not only is biting you nails socially unacceptable, it’s also bad for your health! Biting your nails can cause cuticle infections or result in a chipped tooth. It’s usually a nervous habit people have when they’re anxious or stressed. This year, find a better way to deal with your stress and stop biting your nails!
9. Shampoo Less – Washing your hair daily can strip it of its natural oils and damage your hair. Your oil glands compensate by producing more oil, which means greasy hair. Try to commit to shampooing your hair every other day in 2014.
10. Stop Picking Your Split Ends – The only good way to remove split ends is by cutting your hair. When you pick your split ends, the ends of the hair are brittle and fragile, which means the split will travel higher up the hair shaft. In 2014, when you notice split ends, don’t pick them and go for a trim instead.
What do you think of these beauty resolutions? What beauty tips would you add to this list?
If you truly enjoy doing hair and makeup, maybe a new career in the beauty industry would be a great fit for you. Make the ultimate new year’s resolution and start training for the career you’ve always wanted! Bene's International School of Beauty has a number of programs designed to help you begin a career in beauty. Contact our Admissions office at 727-848-8415 to begin your journey.